Happy Birthday, America!
And Happy 4th of July to you! I hope your day is filled with fun, sun, barbecues and fireworks! And just so you are aware, and don’t embarrass yourself like I did, “This land is your land from California to the New York Islands” and NOT from “New York City to the Virgin Islands.” You’re welcome.
And, since I am being so helpful today, just in case you still haven’t decided what to make to celebrate today (although, I don’t know how that is possible since I gave you TONS of ideas yesterday), I have just one more Independence Day inspired recipe for you. Fruit Pizza! This is a great last minute idea, as it takes less than a half hour to make plus a little time to chill out in the fridge.
First, shape a large disc of sugar cookie dough into the pizza crust. You can totally use store bought dough for this recipe. I actually used leftovers that were in my freezer from…cough cough…Christmas. Waste not, want not, right? Anyhow…
Prick the dough with a fork so it doesn’t rise up.
Then bake it until the edges are golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
While the cookie crust is cooling, mix together some softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and a little milk.
Until you have a nice, sweet and creamy sauce for your pizza.
And spread it around nice and evenly.
Wash your berries and make sure they are completely dry. I (obviously) used blueberries, raspberries and strawberries for my pizza. If you don’t get around to making this for the 4th, you can use combination of fruit you want. This is a very versatile recipe.
Decorate your pizza however you like. I like stripes.
You can mix all the berries up, do a diagonal pattern, chevron, circles, whatever your little heart desires!
Slice the pizza up into squares when you are ready to serve. A fitting tribute to a great country! Happy 4th of July!
makes 1 large pizza
- 1 recipe sugar cookie dough (either your favorite homemade version or store bought, enough for 24 cookies)
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups berries or fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll and spread your cookie dough out into a circle the size of your pizza pan. Transfer your dough to the pizza pan. Fix any tears or holes that might have formed around the edges by pressing the dough back together.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake the cookie crust for 12-15 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden brown.
- Let the cookie crust cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cooled cookie crust. Spread evenly around the crust to the edges.
- Decorate the pizza with berries or fruit of your choice. Make sure the berries are completely dry before decorating.
- Chill pizza in the fridge for one hour, or until ready to serve.