I am really on a chickpea kick lately. I can’t get enough of those little guys! Last week I made Spicy Roasted Chickpeas, and today they have transformed into flavorful Baked Falafel! I mean, I had to make a great accompaniment to my homemade pita bread, right? Chickpeas are so versatile and convenient, and they are super healthy with lots of protein and fiber.
And some of us (not naming any names…) need to recommit to their healthy living resolutions. My fabulous friends and wonderful husband threw me a surprise birthday dinner (seriously, I was so surprise! My birthday was in November, so that might have something to do with not having a clue!) this past weekend, and lets just say I ate a little too much leftover cake. That combined with the pizza during the football games, and a long weekend with a general lack of exercise have derailed my healthy living.
So these baked falafel were my attempt to make myself a light and healthy dish to get back on track.
The chickpeas are blended together with a delicious mix of herbs, spices, garlic and lemon juice and formed into small patties. They are baked to a crispy perfection and stuffed into warm pita bread with lettuce, tomato and feta cheese. These little falafel patties made a delicious, light and healthy lunch. They are really filling, and the fresh herbs give them a level of flavor
(Just now looking at these pictures, I realize that I forgot the feta! I can’t believe I forgot the cheese. They were still great, but that feta would have made them phenomenal! Good thing there are leftovers and I can try again.)
adapted from this recipe
Makes 4 servings (about 20 small patties)
- 2 15 oz. cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 pita bread pockets (store bought or homemade)
- 2 cups spring mix lettuce
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all ingredients for the falafel to a large food processor. Pulse mixture until chickpeas, garlic, herbs and spices are well chopped and well combined.
- Spray a foil lined baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Form chickpea mixture into small 2 inch patties. Place patties an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake falafel patties for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through baking time.
- To assemble sandwich, split pita bread. Stuff the pita with 1/4 of the lettuce, tomatoes, 1 oz of feta cheese and falafel patties.