Any football fans out there? Is your team still in the hunt towards the “Big Game?”
unfortunately, the run for my beloved Washington Redskins came to an end this weekend when they were defeated by the Seahawks. In my opinion, the season was an overwhelming success. The Skins won their last 7 regular season games, and were the champions of the NFC East! That is no small feat! No one expected them to do as well as they did, but the team pulled together and defied the odds.
Now, we are hoping and praying that RGIII’s knee injury isn’t as bad as it looked during the game!
To celebrate the Redskin’s first playoff appearance in 5 years, my cousins hosted a football party. It was so much fun, and everyone brought really great dishes to share. The only thing that would have made it better would be a Redskin’s win!
My contribution was these Baked Southwestern Chicken Eggrolls. Inspired by one of my favorite appetizers at a local bar, and these wontons from Kevin & Amanda, these baked eggrolls are crispy on the outside and filled with a delicious mix of chicken, black beans, corn, peppers and cheese. Paired with a spicy chipotle ranch sauce, they make the perfect food to serve for your next game day party!
Baked Southwestern Chicken Eggroll
Makes about 24 eggrolls
Inspired by this recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn (drained, if using canned corn)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can tomatoes with green chillies, drained
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1 package Eggroll Wrappers
- Olive oil spray or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute onion and bell pepper in skillet until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, black beans and drained tomatoes with green chilies. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and ranch dressing mix. Stir to fully combine all ingredients.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cheese. Allow mixture to cool for several minutes.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper so it looks like a diamond with one point facing toward you.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling mixture in the center of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in water and run it around the outside of the wrapper.
- Fold the corner that is closest to you towards the center, over the filling, and press down. Fold each of the two sides toward the center and roll the eggroll away from you, creating a sealed package. Continue rolling until all filling is used.
- Place eggrolls on a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil or vegetable spray.
- Spray the tops on the eggrolls with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Bake eggrolls for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Chipotle Ranch Sauce
- 1 cup Light Ranch Dressing
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adodo sauce, chopped finely.
- 4 tsp adobo sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix well, and serve chilled.