There are some foods that just go together…
Peanut butter and chocolate.
Bacon and Eggs.
French Fries and milkshakes…just me on that one?
Speaking of basil, look at the size of this leaf! It was literally as big as my hand.
Sweet tomatoes + gooey, melty mozzarella + huge basil leaves + crispy, toasty ciabatta rolls= a warm, tasty, and satisfying sandwich for lunch.
I used my Cuisinart Griddler to make this pannini, but I’m sure you can just use a grill pan, or even just a skillet. It may be more of a grilled cheese than a pannini, but it will taste just the same.
It seems almost silly to give a recipe for a sandwich, especially when the ingredients are so simple. But here is the method I used:
- Ciabatta roll (or bread of your choice, 2 slices if using sliced bread)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olive Oil
- Heat your griddler or grill pan to medium high.
- Assemble your sandwich in the following order: bottom bread, cheese, tomatoes, basil leaves, cheese, top bread. By putting the cheese on the outside of the tomatoes, you will avoid gettin soggy bread.
- Drizzle the top of the sandwich with a small amount of olive oil and brush it around to coat the bread.
- Flip the sandwich and place the oiled side of the bread onto the griddler or pan. Drizzle more olive oil on top and brush it around
- Close the griddler and cook for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasty. If you are using a pan, flip the sandwich after 3-4 minutes and cook the other side.