Well, it is summer, and you know what that means-grills! And all the classic meals that you cook on them, including burgers!
Of course, I love a plain old burger, but isn’t it fun when you can do something…unexpected…with them? How about stuffing them full of cheese and bacon? Here you think you have a plain hamburger, but when you bite into it, you get a mouth full ooey gooey cheese and salty crunchy bacon!
These are the ingredients you will need in order to make these delicious burgers. I used bacon bits for their conveinice, but if you want to use regular bacon, make sure to cook it and crumble it into little pieces.
Divide you ground beef into 8 portions. They will be slightly larger than a golf ball for about a pound and a 1/4 of beef.
Next, take your cheese slices and fold them into 1/4s. Obviously, there is no need to be exact about this.
Flatten each portion of ground beef into a patty. They will be pretty thin, as there is not much meat there.
Place your folded cheese…
and add some bacon.
Place another patty on top. Try to cover all the bacon and cheese.
Press down and seal the two patties together, with the cheese and bacon inside. Now, here is where it can get a little tricky, and unfortunately I couldn’t take pictures because you need both hands. You want to pick up the whole thing and work around with your hands creating a nice burger shape, and also being sure to seal the meat all the way around the bacon and cheese. Any holes and the cheese will melt right out the burger when you cook it. And that, my friends, is a tragedy. No ones wants to waste cheese.
When you have created all your stuffed burgers, season then with, my favorite, seasoning salt.
Heat your grill to medium high, and cook those babies for about 5-6 minutes per side.
Serve on a bun, and savor every melty, bacony bite!
Cheddar & Bacon Stuffed Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 1/4 lb lean ground beef
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp bacon bits (or crumbled bacon)
- seasoning salt, to taste
- Divide ground beef into eight equal portions. Flatten each portion into a patty shape.
- Fold cheese slices into fourths. Place one folded cheese slice onto each of 4 patties.
- Top each cheese slice with a tablespoon of bacon bits.
- Place the other four patties on top of the cheese and bacon topped patties.
- Press and seal the top and bottom patties together, working them into a burger shape.
- Preheat the grill to medium high and cook burgers for about 5-6 minutes per side.