I mentioned yesterday that from time to time, I love a good burger. What makes a good burger? In my opinion, it is juicy, flavorful, and definitely has cheese.
So, how do you enjoy a good burger when you are on the healthy eating train? Make it out of a lean mean (ground chicken), stuff it full of a healthy vegetable (spinach!), and mix in some delicious salty feta cheese, that’s how!
These burgers are huge and so tasty! The spinach really bulks them up while adding lots of nutrition, and without adding many additional calories. The feta gives them a nice flavorful bite, and as far as cheese goes, it is on the lower end of the calorie scale. Top them with a cool, fresh cucumber and yogurt tzatziki sauce to bring the whole thing together. These burgers are sure to satisfy the craving of even the pickiest eaters. Trust me, if my husband will eat something with spinach in it, it has to be good!
Chicken Spanakopita Burgers with Easy Tzatziki Sauce
Adapted from Rachael Ray’s recipe
Makes 4 large burgers
- 1 10 oz. box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 1/4 lb ground chicken
- 5 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- Buns for serving
- 2 inch piece of cucumber
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Place spinach in a microwave safe bowl. Defrost the spinach in the microwave (about 2-3 minutes). If the spinach gets hot, let it cool before you handle it.
- Drain the liquid from the spinach using a fine sieve. Layer several paper towels together, and put the spinach in the center. Wrap the paper towels around the spinach and squeeze to remove as much excess liquid as you can.
- Add the drained spinach, ground chicken, feta cheese, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Use your hand to mix ingredients until they are evenly incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal balls and shape each ball into a burger patty.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Cook burgers for about 6-7 minutes per side, or until center is no longer pink.
- To make the sauce, grate the cucumber into a medium bowl. Add yogurt and salt and stir to combine.
- Serve on a bun with Easy Tzatziki sauce.
PS- These pictures were taken with manual settings!!