Even though it is the middle of Spring, I can feel Summer coming. And I think it’s gonna be a hot one!
While we seem to have reverted a little weather-wise, I had a craving for this simple dish. Plus, I had all the ingredients on hand after making those Greek Flatbread Pizzas!
How about a light and refreshing side dish that is perfect with your favorite grilled meal?
My mom would make a version of this salad with white onions, cucumber, apple cider vinegar and a little sprinkle of Sweet’n'Low to sweeten it up.
I remember coming in for dinner on hot summer days after playing all afternoon and having this fresh salad as a side dish. It will forever remind me of summer and my mom.
My version is kicked up a notch with the addition of tomatoes. And instead of apple cider vinegar, I used tangy red wine vinegar for a little something different. You could really use any variety to suit your own tastes.
Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad
makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar until well combined.
- Add vegetables and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let vegetables marinate in the dressing.
- Toss again before serving.