Are you ready for Cinco de Mayo?
Kind of like St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo is one of those holidays where everyone participates even if it has nothing to do with your own personal heritage.
I, for one, will use any excuse to drink margaritas and eat Mexican food.
And if you are looking for a dish to fill your menu this Saturday, let me suggest this deep dish enchilada pizza!
I wasn’t sure what to call this…it is kind of a corn bread casserole with an enchilada topping and tons of cheddar cheese. But after I cut it, I realized that it sure did remind me of a deep dish pizza. And it was decided.
The topping is just chicken that I had boiled and shredded earlier in the week mixed with peppers, onions tomatoes and enchilada sauce! And tons of gooey, melty shredded cheddar.
All this meal is missing is a giant margarita to make it complete.
Deep Dish Enchilada Pizza with Corn Bread Crust
makes 6 servings
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking power
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add egg, vegetable oil and milk and whisk until combined.
- Pour cornbread mixture into a greased pie plate. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over in a large skillet.
- Saute peppers and onions over medium-high heat until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Drain diced tomatoes to remove excess liquid. Add tomatoes to peppers and onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add shredded chicken and most of the enchilada sauce. You want the chicken and vegetable to be coated in sauce, but not swimming in it.
- Continue cooking to reduce the sauce.
- Spoon the chicken mixture over the uncooked cornbread batter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top the deep dish pizza with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Return the dish to the oven and continue baking for an additional 5-8 minutes until cheese has melted and corn bread is fully cooked.