I have a super easy and delicious recipe for you today. Chicken Quesadillas! In addition to our WaWa fascination, my college friends and I also loved getting Chicken Quesadillas from Taco Bell. In fact, my love for Taco Bell goes way back to high school, when we would eat lunch there every.single.day. Back then, Chalupas were my favorite, but in college, I was all about the chicken quesadillas.
To start, just saute a little bit of onion, some bell pepper, and leftover chopped chicken. Season this mix with a little cumin and a touch of cayenne.
Meanwhile, heat a separate large skillet over medium high heat. Spray the skillet with some non-stick spray, and add an 8 inch tortilla to the pan. Top the tortilla with a bit of shredded cheese.
When the peppers and onions are soft, and the chicken is heated through, spread the mixture evenly over the cheese topped tortilla.
Top with another tortilla, and spray the top with a little more cooking spray. Continue to cook until the bottom tortilla is golden brown.
*Do not try to un-clog the ice dispenser on the fridge door during this step. Your tortilla will burn. Not that I know from experience or anything.*
Flip your quesadilla and cook until the other tortilla is browned and the cheese is fully melted.
This is such a fast and easy meal. Who could resist all that melty cheese?
Easy Chicken Quesadillas
makes 1 quesadilla
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small chicken breast, cooked and diced (it is great to use leftover chicken here!)
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- dash of cayenne
- 2 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Sauté the bell pepper, onion and chicken until the vegetables are soft. Season with cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray the skillet with cooking spray. Add one flour tortilla to the pan, and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- When the vegetables are soft and the chicken is heated through, spread the mixture evenly over the cheese topped tortilla.
- Top the quesadilla with the other tortilla and spray the top with cooking spray.
- When the bottom tortilla is browned, flip the quesadilla to cook the other side.
- Continue cooking until the other side is browned and the cheese is melted.