Memorial Day weekend is upon us! Welcome to the (unofficial) official start of the summer! My ultimate favorite season!
I can’t get enough of the warm weather, sunshine, swimming pools, beaches, and most importantly-grilled food! I will be spending my weekend soaking up as many of those activities as possible.
What are your plans for the weekend? I’ll tell you one thing that should be on your agenda. These chicken skewers! Fire up your grill, because this is a good one!
The fresh pop of lemon on these chicken skewers gives them an unexpected burst of flavor. Grill up some tomatoes on the side, and serve them over rice for a tasty, healthy meal that screams summer time!
Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers
- wooden (or metal) skewers
- the juice of 2 lemons (about a 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 lb chicken tender strips, or chicken breasts cut into strips
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Fill a shallow dish with water and soak the wooden skewers. This prevents them from burning (see the pictures? I didn’t soak my skewers and they burned right up!)
- Combine all ingredients, except for chicken, in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Toss chicken in the marinade to coat.
- Refridgerate chicken for at least 1 hour, and up to 4 hours.
- Skewer the chicken strips onto the wooden skewers, weaving the skewers through the meat a couple times. Add some tomatoes to the skewers, if you would like.
- Heat your gril to medium high heat.
- Place skewers on the grill, and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.