Are you ready for some football?!?! I know I am! Even though my team (the Redskins!) isn’t playing today, I am still looking forward to a great game. I can’t say I’m really routing for either team, but if I had to choose, I suppose I will be supporting the Ravens. They are the hometown team, after all.
All week long I have promised a Maryland themed recipe. If you remember, I like to make a dish that represents each team for our Super Bowl party. Earlier, I gave you Rice-A-Roni Arancini to represent the San Francisco 49ers. Rice-A-Roni is the San Francisco treat, so what better to represent them!
The Baltimore Ravens are obviously from Maryland. I can’t think of a more “Maryland” food than Blue Crabs, thus I give you Crab Dip! Creamy, kinda spicy and packed with luscious crab meat. It is totally delicious, whips up in snap, and is sure to please all the football fans at your party!
Maryland Crab Dip
makes about 3 cups
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 6 oz can Lump Crab Meat
- 1 6 oz can “Fancy” Crab Meat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Crackers or bread for serving
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Sauté onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Remove pan from heat and allow onions and garlic to cool.
- In the bowl of an eclectic mixer, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, Old Bay seasoning and hot sauce until well mixed.
- Gently fold in the onions, garlic, and crab meat, taking care not to break up the meat.
- Transfer the dip to an oven safe baking dish. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the dip.
- Bake the dip for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the dip is hot and bubbly.
- Serve with crackers or bread for dipping.