Is every0ne else as excited for Spring as I am?? Today marks the first day of Spring, and winter is officially O.V.E.R! Pretty soon, we’ll be on to sun tans and flip flops 😎
The weather here has been fantastic for the past week or so, and we’re looking to continue to trend through to the weekend. 75 degrees and sunny? I’ll take it!
In honor of the first day of Spring, today I have Pasta Primavera for you! Tender, crunchy vegetables and a buttery parmesan sauce all tossed together with al dente penne pasta. This meal was phenomenal!
Of course, Chris commented on how their was no meat involved…to him a meal isn’t a meal unless there is meat. But he did eat two servings, veggies and all (well, minus the asparagus). Add grilled chicken or shrimp to this dish if you have a husband like mine.
makes 8 servings
- 16 oz dry penne pasta (or the shape of your choosing)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups lowfat or skim milk
- 6 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Saute the onions, red pepper and carrots until soft, but not browned (about 7-8 mintues).
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Saute the garlic for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture, continuously whisking to avoid lumps. Heat this mixture until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the parmesan cheese until it is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- During the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time for the pasta, add the asparagus and broccoli florets.
- Drain the pasta and vegetables, and combine with suateed vegetables and sauce. Mix until everything is coated with the sauce.
- Serve with additional grated cheese on top.