It is high time we have some desserts around here! Calories and sugar grams don’t count during the holidays, right?
Ok, so that isn’t really true. But, these are mini cupcakes! And that means you can eat more than one and not feel bad because they are so small. Built in portion control. These are basically diet food.
One thing that really signifies the holidays is when Starbuck’s switches over to their “red cups.” Granted, it seems like this happens earlier and earlier each year, but still – red cups=holidays. Before Thanksgiving, I stick to Pumpkin Spice lattes, and leave the Christmas-y flavors for after turkey day. But now, Gingerbread lattes and Peppermint Mochas will be filling my red cups.
I enjoy the flavors so much in my coffee, I thought why not try to make a cupcake with the same great tastes?
Chocolatey cupcakes with a punch of coffee that are topped with a rich, creamy peppermint buttercream frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. These little cupcakes will make the perfect addition to any holiday dessert spread. Two-bite desserts that are so scrumptious, you will definitely make room for more than one!
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
makes 36 mini cupcakes
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup very warm water
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a mini cupcake pan with liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and both types of sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg, and mix until it is fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the warm water. Add milk and vanilla and stir.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the coffee mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, ending with the flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake pan, filling each liner until just under the top. This batter makes about 36 mini cupcakes, so you will have to bake in batches, unless you have more than one pan (mine only has room for 24 cupcakes).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
makes enough frosting for 36 mini cupcakes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- crushed candy canes or peppermint candies for topping
- Add butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Begin mixing and continue until butter is light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 4 cups of powdered sugar and continue to mix into the butter.
- Add peppermint extract and 2 Tbsp of milk, and continue to mix. Add additional sugar, or milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes and top with crushed candy canes of peppermint candies.