I’m pretty sure that I have seen some version of these Roasted Chickpeas on just about every blog that I read. Maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but they sure have made their way around the blogosphere.
Nevertheless, on the off chance that you haven’t seen them or heard of them before, I thought I would pass them along. The first time I heard of this snack was when Rachael Ray made them on 30 Minute Meals years ago. I remember thinking “How weird?!” I mean, I like chickpeas, and I love hummus, but roasting chickpeas in the oven until they are crispy? I never would have thought of that.
These chickpeas can be seasoned any way you like. This version is spicy and hot, with cumin and cayenne pepper. They are roasted in a hot oven until they crispy, sort of like a corn nut, but not. Actually, I don’t like corn nuts, so maybe these aren’t really like corn nuts, since I do really like these. Anyhow, the point is they get crunchy and crispy and make an awesome snack. and since chickpeas are full of protein and fiber, they are pretty healthy, too!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
makes about 1 1/2 cups
Adapted from this recipe
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- less than 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread chickpeas evenly on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray chickpeas with olive oil.
- Sprinkle seasonings evenly over chickpeas. Toss gently to coat.
- Roast chickpeas for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, until they are crispy and golden.
- Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.