I’ve talked before about how I am a grab-n-go breakfast kind of gal. With a long commute, and very little time in the morning, it is really the only option I have. But that doesn’t mean that breakfast has to be boring!
If you follow me on Instagram (Really, you should! @BeckyCooks), you would have seen that I had some bananas that were screaming for some baking. I don’t know how I let this many bananas get this black, but somehow I found myself in the position needing to use up a lot of bananas at once. And what better way than by baking some muffins?
I have already posted a Banana Nut Bread Recipe, but that one is…on the more indulgent side. Lots of sugar, white flour, and it is made with Crisco for goodness sake! Don’t get me wrong, it is super delicious, and worth every calorie, but not exactly appropriate for an everyday breakfast. Especially when you are trying to drop a few pounds!
These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, ,sweet, wholesome bananas , crunchy walnuts and only 1/2 cup of added sugar for the whole recipe. They make a quick, healthy breakfast, perfect for anyone else whose mornings are on the go!
Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Muffins
Adapted from this recipe
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to incorporate ingredients and break up any brown sugar clumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine bananas, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Create a well in your dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to the well, and gently mix until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in 1/4 cup of walnuts.
- Transfer batter evenly to a lined muffin pan (you might want to spray the liners with no-stick spray as well). Sprinkle the remaining walnuts evenly over top of the muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.